Saturday 31 August 2013

Singing and the Therapeutic Process


Singing and the Therapeutic Process  by Dr Elizabeth McCardell, M. of Counselling, PhD
Jan 2013
      Singing is 90% mental, so my singing teacher tells me.  Of course, practically all of human existence is carried out in the mental realm. What is wonderful about singing, though, is that the very act of doing it brings into sharp focus the wilieness of the mind and the slipperyness of intention.
To put one’s intention squarely on the act of music making, in the production of sweet notes is to be present in the art of it.  
      I am reminded again and again of the way in which we set ourselves up for failure by concentrating on past problem stories in a recursive back-peddling that really gets in the way of fresh and decisive being right here, now.
       I love what I’m learning about myself in my singing practice. I’m enjoying being able to watch how and what and why I trip myself up. Watching, too, what it feels like when fully present. It is the difference between unadulterated clear musical notes and the murkiness, and blockedness, of my inner stories. I am no different from anybody else in this regard. 
      Having singing lessons is like having good therapy. Therapy isn’t just about finding ways to lessen feelings of anxiety, depression, grief, etc; it’s also for bringing awareness to what we do to perpetuate our difficulties and thus find other ways of doing things.
       There is, of course, just the pure pleasure of participating in the making of incredibly beautiful music. And this, too, is coupled in the therapeutic process. How so, you might ask? The therapeutic conversation is often intense, but this is interspersed with soaring moments of insight where the dialogue becomes incredibly beautiful. I’m thinking of a fairly recent example where a client realized his overly lenient behaviour towards a disrespectful relative was paralleled in his extremely generous gifts to a person in his employment. He realized in an instant that both behaviours were both similar and inappropriate, as well as extremely costly emotionally and financially. He had not seen a connection before, and, seeing the connection, allowed him to reconsider what he was doing; the first step to altering his behaviour. It was an ‘Aha’ moment, just like the making of a clear, pristine note, the beginning of a lovely melody.
      I am endlessly curious about the way I, and the people I work with, get in the way of myself/ourselves. Why do we do it? Again, I’ll refer to my singing lessons to attempt to trace what happens to me so that I can hint at what I think happens to other people, recognizing that my processes are both unique to me and similar to others, as far as my studies and experiences have indicated.
     At my last singing lesson I was having difficulty singing a particular phrase. I wondered about it, and remembered then a conversation I’d had with an acquaintance who’d said, as he sat down to speak with me for the first time, that men and women were as different as apples and pears. I’d said to him, that we were still fruit (!) and in my life I’d come to realize we were not really as dissimilar as some had made out, and clear delineations between men and women was problematic. He then went on to say that really women were inferior and needed men to survive. That got my goat, and in that instant, I realized why my throat felt stuck. I told my singing teacher of this event, and then set about singing the phrase again. This time, my throat opened and I sang clearly. I’d stumbled on my own indignation, upon my fury at some lingering social arrogance regarding the supposed differences between men and women. I’ve had to carve my path through a lot of this cultural nonsense throughout life, and some of it still has the power to seize my throat.
     In the above example, I trace a bit of my internal processes, pointing to a way in which recursive thoughts tripped me up. When I’m working with a client, I can hear the old ideas that trip him/her up. I can also hear, much like my singing teacher hears when in the presence of a student, the beautiful quality of their, as yet, not fully realized inner voice (their unique me-ness). Talking about what it is that gets in the way of speaking, hearing, and acting on the integrity of their being really helps, for singing and in therapy. 
      Singing is creating beauty in process. Doing and receiving therapy opens us – in a process of the therapeutic conversation – to our own beauty and less problematic modes of being. Ah, to find our clear note of awareness, our simple unique voice.

 Copyright @ 2013 Dr Elizabeth McCardell