Saturday 31 August 2013

Doing therapy with awareness


Doing therapy with awareness by Dr Elizabeth McCardell, M. Couns., PhD (2010)
Nov 2010 
     I'm sitting on a balcony overlooking the ocean up in the Tweed shire and watching the sun rise. There is a meringue of clouds on the horizon with bands of coral orange breaking through. The sea is low today, a crinkle of waves.    A bush turkey hurries by. I should be content, but I am only partly. I want to be home with my beloved cat; the home I haven’t been in for nearly 4 weeks. I’ve been travelling overseas, attending a conference in that old city of Heidelberg in Germany, and then enjoying Amsterdam and Iceland on a much needed holiday. 
     Here I am on the coast, north of home. Why? I am attending a Gestalt training residential, to deepen and expand my psychotherapeutic skills, and bring to more awareness my own processes.  To be effective as a therapist, it is necessary to understand – and keep up to date – knowledge of the field and understanding of oneself. To do therapy effectively is to be able to separate out the issues that belong to the client and those that come from the therapist, otherwise the actual needs of the client are not heard.
     “Doing therapy with awareness” is a double-meaning-ed title I’ve thought of for me as therapist, and the kind of therapy  work I do with clients. My  work is essentially an existential-phenomenological therapy (of which Gestalt is a part) that aims to bring the client to awareness of how and what they do in their daily experience of life that isn’t nurturing to the uniqueness of who they are, to bring to a closure half-finished emotional business (stuff that gets in the way of change), and to allow them greater access to their capacity to make choices for themselves. What is true for clients, is also true for me as a fellow human being and me as therapist. To be an effective therapist is to practice awareness.
      To be attuned to what is important for a client, I need to be finely attuned to what is important for me. I need to look after myself as much as I encourage my clients to look after themselves. A stressed-out-of-her brain therapist is not able to do her job; she’s ceased to be a therapist, in fact.
I enjoy the sea, the flux and flow of water and sand turned up and around and wind in all its moods matches my energetic process exactly. Qi gong practice, which I learnt some years ago, also employs this flux and flow. Here there is a strong movement outward followed by a gentle one inward, followed by a strong movement, followed by a gentle one, and so on. Qi gong is an exercise and meditation practice akin to tai chi. The pattern of strong-gentle-strong-gentle is the pattern I follow when working with  clients. It is a rhythm that nurtures and challenges in turn, centering and bringing awareness as it goes on. The Chinese may be wrong in many things, but in this fundamental Taoist truth, I believe they are right. Tao observes the rhythms of nature; a rhythm as natural and as complex as life itself. 
     Psychotherapy and counselling, in my book, should not be viewed as peculiar goings-on for the unstable, but accessed by anybody wanting aid, support and challenge in order to go about life more fluidly, with greater awareness, astuteness and grit.