Sunday 1 September 2013

Transitions


Transitions  by Dr Elizabeth McCardell,  M. of Counselling, PhD
Feb 2012 
     Now is the  time of new beginnings, a time of leaving behind the old and embracing what is as yet unfolding.  In this month’s article I want to talk about transitions, generally, and specifically career transitions.
     In Tibetan Buddhism there is a concept known as the bardo. Contrary to what is popularly thought the bardo does not just refer to the period between death and rebirth, but all transitional states. Life is in a constant state of bardo. The transitional states are well illustrated in the ancient Tibetan Book of the Dead,  and I could speak of these, but suffice to say, they  are described as the clinging (or not) of the ego to past identifications. For example, before, you identified your self by your job as manager of a corporation, but now, you are retrenched you have to think again. You have to de-identify yourself according to your old job, and perhaps move to reconsider yourself not as a worker but as a person. The old identification to a job, and its loss, has brought heartache, yet still you have to work. How much better it would be to work at something that shares in the well spring of the uniqueness of yourself.
     The German philosopher, Martin Heidegger (1889-1976), has a similar concept to the bardo. He speaks of thrownness: the movement between this moment and the next. Imagine a ball being thrown between two people: the ball leaving this moment and arriving at the next moment. The ball does not suddenly arrive at an always expected destination, but travels the distance between, influenced by perhaps a juddering wind or uneven air pressure. It arrives, but its course is not necessarily predictable.  Life is like that. Where we find ourselves may not always look possible from the launching pad of earlier life. We do have choices though.
     Many years ago I met in the street my old kindergarten teacher. I’d gone to the kindergarten attached to the University of Western Australia’s Psychology Department (which could well have influenced the shaping of my current career). This old kindie teacher was a developmental psychologist and was busily studying us as well as stimulating our growing minds and bodies. So I met this intriguing old lady in the street and she asked me what I was doing now. I was in the process of writing my PhD (on, by the way, philosophy of embodiment  in transitional  and reciprocal states). She said, “Interesting… Because I would not have guessed that’s what you would do.” I wished that I’d asked her what she thought I’d do, but didn’t.  She continued, “You know, I could usually predict what the boys would do in life, but I could never really guess what the girls would do.”  This little chance conversation sits there in the background of my mind and I wonder why it is so (or was)  that little girls grow up in more unpredictable ways than little boys. I wonder too, whether this trend has changed. I suspect it has. It is common now for everyone to have a variety of careers in the course of a life time.  The old ‘one job for life’ thing has passed away.
     So, just as much as it is true throughout the Western world, many of us in our community here in the Northern Rivers are transitioning from our old job to a new one, and possibly shifting into another profession entirely. It is said that most people have five careers in the course of their life. This means that the kudos associated with being in a single career strand is not as important these days and there is a shift from identifying yourself by the work you do to who you are and your other characteristics and sources of interest (sport, books,  the environment, entertainment, meditation practices, etc).  This is a very healthy trend as it means there is a potential for fewer numbers of people suffering devastating feelings of bereavement on losing an old job. Unfortunately the modern reality is that though we all may be working in a number of jobs across our life time, the loss of a single job carries with it a many layered guilt trip, embedded in much cultural baggage. All the “shoulds” (should have done this, should have done that) and ideas of pride and self-esteem and so on, come bubbling up like some horrible creature from the deep. I know this stuff well for in my own life, I’ve worked in several careers and felt the bereavement of losing jobs, the friends associated with them, and the particular geographies of the work environments. I’ve been a university and tafe teacher. I’ve been a researcher, editor and writer, and now am primarily a therapist as well as a career transitional coach: all crisscrossing over with no single linear pathway. What I have learned in the past 30+ years is to go with the flow; to not define myself by what work I do and to walk away from jobs that do not nurture me. The old Protestant work ethic, while beneficial in some ways, does not always serve the integrity of the organism at all well. For sure, some work requires just chipping away and getting through it, but here again is an opportunity to see yourself as a vibrant being in the world, and not merely a dull chipper.
     So what is the best way to think about moving on from the old job to the new? In the career transition coaching manifesto that I use as a separate, yet adjunct, part of my therapeutic practice, we need to identify clearly your existing skills, the particular interests you have, your personality type, what further education may be required and who could be contacted to give you a better understanding of the kind of work you are attracted to. 
     Like the ball thrown from this place …… to this, we can organize – to a degree – how the transition might look. We can prepare ourselves for the next stage, garner a greater awareness about what is needed to make the transition really work, and enjoy the process of it. Either that, or be buffeted around like a ping pong ball in the vicissitudes of disorganized life, all the while feeling incredible anxiety and pain. I encourage the new.

Copyright @ 2013 Dr Elizabeth McCardell