Sunday 25 February 2024

A Little Reflection by Dr Elizabeth McCardell, M. Couns., PhD

 

March 2024

 

This is my 180th article for the Nimbin Good Times, my 15th year writing each month. I haven’t missed an issue in all that time, despite sometimes not feeling well; on one occasion being out at sea on cruise to New Zealand, on another, at a training residential, on many occasions having a mountain of other work, sometimes knowing what to write, other times at a loss – yet I keep on keeping on (such is my bull dog nature).

 

I now reflect on those years, beginning with the move from Perth, Western Australia to the opening of my therapeutic practice in Nimbin in March 2009, two days a week in a shared office space above the Oasis CafĂ©. I moved my practice to Lismore in the new year of 2010, where I worked in my office space below my house in Kareela Avenue, Lismore Heights. I met many wonderful people through this practice and I continue to work with some of them and hope to work with many more online. What has changed is my return to life in Perth (actually Fremantle), in January 2023. I came back primarily to be near my beloved Indian Ocean, for daily swims and to leave behind Lismore’s ongoing flood problem. The 2022 floods broke my heart but though I am no longer living there, I am with the people in spirit. My little cat, Pusski, now lives with my neighbours who he adopted when I told him I was leaving. I hope the mountain brushtail possum I shared my garden with continues to live contentedly there. I very much enjoyed her chats outside my bedroom window at night and her showings of her little ones through visits to my balcony. And then there were the families of birds I left bowls of water out for to quench their thirst. We had a joyous relationship.

 

I continue to write for this paper because I feel connected with people and place and want to continue to participate in the healing that is going on in the northern rivers. This healing comes in many forms: community communication, markets, crafts and arts and music making, the therapeutic practices of doctors, nurses, chiropractors, osteopaths, acupuncturists, herbalists, naturopaths, psychologists, social workers, counsellors; those that tend clients in hairdressing, massage, and so on. Those that sit and listen to others over cups of tea, those that attend to others’ needs in shops and on the street are all good. Simple, beautiful encounters. Those people not feeling heard can contact me, if they wish. As I say, I’m continuing to see clients online over Messenger, WhatsApp, FaceTime, etc. If you are visiting Fremantle, WA, you and I could work together in person. My details are to be found in the accompanying advertisement.

 

Note that I am a psychotherapist/counsellor and a clinical hypnotherapist and both of these modalities work very well online as much as face-to-face in-person sessions.

 

I want to use this article not only to reflect but thank Bob and Sue and all the workers who keep the Nimbin Good Times newspaper running so well. It is one of the very few truly independent newspapers in Australia and as such, one of a tiny minority that tells stuff as it is, without any dubious agenda. We are so very fortunate.