Wednesday 25 July 2018

Therapy as Magic Realism


August 2018

I had a friend, Tom, who I met at university when both of us were doing our PhD. He being far more organized than I. finished writing his thesis a couple of years before me. The locus of his work was on the magic realism in the early writings of Jorge Luis Borges (1899-1986), the Argentinian author.

Tom’s PhD thesis was examined and passed with flying colours. We spoke once, at the completion of it, and then he disappeared, literally. I couldn’t find any information about where he went; even his  parents and brother had no clue. No death notices, no life notices, nothing.

In a fantastical effort to discern where he went, I scattered, upside down, a set of animal druid cards. In that set are two blank cards, there to encourage its users to create a couple of animal narratives of their own. The two blank cards came up. I picked up a third, and it was “the fox”. The fox is an elusive being, known for hiding among grasses, and disappearing when he wants. I felt then that Tom just didn’t want to be found, and no online searches could unearth anything. There are, it seems, three men with the same name, but none of them living in our time frame.

How extraordinary, really, that his fox-like disappearance fits so well with the nature of his academic work!  He, or rather I, made a myth from him simply being/not being there.

Magic realism is a genre of literary fiction characterized by the matter-of-fact inclusion of the richness of a  psychological imaginary into an otherwise realistic and ordinary framework. Tom’s life had that quality: he  showed me how to use a computer by playing with it, we ate meals together, we walked the campus together, and he tripped while walking downhill, somersaulted mid-air, and landed on his feet like a finely tuned cat, while I, on a different evening fell and broke both hands. We got on well and once he celebrated passing his PhD, he disappeared.

Magic realism situates itself neatly in the discourse of psychotherapy. I note here that I am not talking of magical thinking. Magical thinking is defined as believing that one event happens as a result of another without a plausible link of causation. This is unconscious thinking.  Magic realism, on the contrary, is an actual  and conscious tool in literature and, I suggest, in psychotherapy in order to engage a person more richly in a life not fully lived.

Active imagination, as practiced by Jungians and others, including me, could be said to be a  magic realism tool, and  is used as a bridge between the conscious and unconscious mind. It is  a method for visualizing and fleshing out unconscious issues  by drawing upon the imagination. This is a very useful tool and has the capacity to build meaning, new memories and connection in the field in which the client lives.

Much of what we do, as psychotherapists, is pragmatic and here and now, and yet it merges the ordinary subtly into landscapes of the imagination and dreams, for a purpose. The mind, decorated with elaborations of enriched memory, becomes a luminous space of possibilities and our exploration of these, transforms ordinary reality.  This is why I ask my clients what they love to do, and whether they paint, play music, write, dance. I want to know what magic they engage in and how can we use that for their healing.

There can be a danger in the making myth of life events, but properly and ethically handled, it is a very powerful tool.  I think once more of Borges’ writing and his emphasis on containment and playful control of words and sentences. Nothing is wasted and nothing slops over into a messy unconsciousness, and yet …   And so, with Borges I say, “I know what the Greeks do not know, incertitude”  for the bridge between this world and the world of the imagination is always open and what is learned in this here-and-now world and the imaginary is always magical and very real.