Wednesday 13 July 2016

Feeling Secure; Adventuring Out


Feeling Secure; Adventuring Out   by Dr Elizabeth McCardell, M. Couns., PhD.
     When I was a little child I got fed up with being in my family and thought I’d run away. I scooped up a few essentials and scampered off down the road, without saying goodbye. The further away from the house I got, the less sure about my decision I became, until I got to the point of thinking, “Now what? Where do I go?” After all, where can a kid go, really? So I went back. Nobody knew that I’d left and nobody questioned me when I returned home; such was the nature of life as a  kid in a safe neighbourhood in the 50s. Whatever my own somewhat ambivalent difficulties with my mother were, I still felt safe at home in the family house with her, my brother and father.
     Security is a primary human need and so it is that in order to feel secure we form attachments to one another. From this place of security,  we find safety and freedom to explore the regions beyond this point.
    Attachment is that psychological connectedness that occurs between humans and lasts for a lengthy period of time. The level of this connectedness generally waxes and wanes and waxes, in a continuous circle of renewal and disintegration and renewal again. It is a thick space, with a richness that holds and releases and welcomes again. This looping is what a group of family therapists around the world call, “the circle of security”.  The circle of security allows a child, and later grown up, to venture out and explore the world, and return knowing they will be received by those that care for them with trust, respect, and in an attitude of freely given love.
     I meet a large range of people in my clinical practice and many of them are explorers of the greater world. Some, though, are very fearful of change, of different environments, and of people. Even coming to see me is felt to be a big risk. A very small number have never left this country town I now call home, and which I moved to seven years ago. This always sort of surprises me. I am a traveler from a family of travelers and enjoy going where I have never been before. I do, however, like to feel some sense of security wherever I am, and with this security comes a sense of being home wherever I am.
     Feeling safe is a key for all people. As infants, we reach out to our caregiver (usually our mother, but not always) and other close people and it is their level of sensitivity and responsivity that helps us develop a secure sense within ourselves. It is also in this space that empathy is born. Empathy is like going out to meet another person and walking with them awhile, without ever changing places with them.
     Part of the being present with another and sensitively receiving them is the sharing of eye contact.  Indeed the sharing of eye contact is one of the identifiers of healthy human development and more generally, a balanced psychology.  
     Not all can participate in such a sharing. People on the autism disorder spectrum are some who cannot hold such contact; others are avoidant because of certain learned behaviors dating back to infancy. Current research and therapies are finding ways to shift this pattern to a more fulsome contact. Such therapies introduce the person to incremental exposure to shared eye contact and the results are coming through that indicate there is an improvement in interpersonal relationships and a greater capacity for empathy. This work is exciting as it shows that the human brain is flexible and conditions that we previously thought could not be changed have some capacity for quite fundamental shifts. Furthermore, this work is suggesting that the principle of feeling secure and adventuring out isn’t just what happened in infancy shaping how we are the world, but is in continual negotiation throughout life. This is why psychotherapy works and this is why I work in the field. What we were once isn’t necessarily what we are now. We can and do change.